Senior Operations Engineer
The Senior Operations Engineer role focuses on pushing forward efforts in system automation and deployment using tools like Chef and Puppet, building REST APIs using Python frameworks like Flask and Tornado, and researching new solutions to help drive platform innovation in any part of the organization. The role also participates in many other initiatives, not the least of which is solidifying and furthering our commitment to collaboration and cooperation between development and operations.
A sampling of the types of projects performed by this role might include:
- Building out event-oriented message queuing architectures to increase efficiency and open data streams to multiple applications.
- Research and/or build new solutions to provide new services and functionality to the internal application platform.
- Automate and expand the collection and use of metrics, leveraging new & existing tools to provide visualizations to both business and technical parts of the organization.
You’re an experienced engineer. You’ve worked on multiple projects in various environments. You’ve put things into production, you’ve had people use them, you’ve failed, you’ve succeeded, you’ve paid your dues, and learned your lessons. You have a passion for technology, and view what you do as a craft. You like your job, but love your work. It’s something you’d do (and have done) even if there were no money or job involved.
You enjoy working with open source languages, toolchains, systems, and databases, and are always seeking out new solutions to difficult problems. Where those solutions are found lacking, you contribute, and occasionally build your own.
You cringe at the thought of having to make a definitive choice between doing only software engineering or only systems engineering. You like to have your hands in all of it, and to be able to understand and affect change to any part of your work, front end to back end. You strongly resist pigeonholing.
You thrive in environments where technological and innovative velocity is high, and the overhead from administrivia is low. You can work well in isolation, but are happy to collaborate in a team setting, and might not even mind doing the occasional pair programming.
AWeber’s engineering team is a dynamic and exciting place to be. We use open source technologies like PostgreSQL, Python, MongoDB, Redis, Riak, Chef, Ruby, Graphite, Ecelerity (Momentum), and RabbitMQ. We use approaches to software quality like Test-Driven Development, Continuous Deployment, and a healthy addiction to metrics that give us insight into our applications, and how well they’re serving our customers. We have a mode of execution built around Kanban, and a Kaizen culture of continuous improvement. We believe in the kind of transparency, processes, data sharing, collaboration, and communication that foster a DevOps culture.
- 100% Company Paid PPO medical, dental, vision, insurance. (including domestic partner benefits).
- Company Paid Short Term Disability Insurance.
- Company Paid Life Insurance.
- Tuition reimbursement.
- Fully Reimbursed Gym Memberships.
- 3 weeks paid time off (plus increases in paid time off).
- Paid holidays.
- 401K retirement benefits with company match and profit sharing.
- Free lunches every day.
- Break rooms stocked with soda, juices, coffee and teas.
- MacBook Pro laptops and 30" monitors.
- Multiple high definition theater rooms fully equipped with Xbox, Wii & Blu-Ray players.
- A game room with competition billiard, foosball, and ping-pong tables.
Life at AWeber
AWeber employs some AWesome people. Inspiring thinkers, passionate creators - everyone brings something to the table. And you have the AWesome chance to learn from and collaborate with these cool minds. Whether it's marketing, design or engineering, every interaction gives the opportunity to nurture your skills.
We love independent spirits and innovative ideas. AWeber thrives on contributions from everyone, at every level, in every department. Want your efforts to really count? We'll let you take your ideas and run with them. Everyone here is an integral part of AWeber's growth.
We're not just built for collaboration, but also for fun! Ride the slide to the cafeteria for lunch prepared by our 3 in-house chefs. Catch up on shows in our state-of-the-art movie theaters. Or embrace your competitive side with ping pong or a rack of pool. When it's time to get back to work, roll your desk where you need it to go to work more closely with your team members.