VP of Engineering
AWeber Communications believes in continuous learning and improvement organizationally. We foster collaborative ties between all areas of the organization. We believe that people do their best work when they're passionate about the goal, and encourage that pursuit. We have a team of very strong, talented engineers, and require a leader that can demolish roadblocks to progress, optimize for innovative velocity, and continue to help build a culture in which engineers feel a strong sense of pride and ownership in their platform, code, team, and process, and that the organization is providing experiences to our customers that are nothing short of remarkable.
Our platform and software are built on open source foundations, and we contribute to and create software to give back to the open source ecosystem whenever and wherever possible. In addition, community in general is very important to the entire organization, including engineering, which sponsors various technology-focused meetups, several technical conferences, local educational programs, and more. We also are involved in the organization of such events and programs, and we speak at conferences and write books, articles, and blog posts for the various technical communities we interact with.
We apply a lot of independent thought to our internal processes, and to the engineering culture we're lucky to live within. We also share ideas from other thought leaders doing awesome things in engineering, such as Valve, Spotify, Etsy, Zappos, and others.
The VP of Engineering collaborates directly with the Chief Technology Officer to develop, plan, and implement a solid, forward-looking vision for the engineering organization, and ensure that the vision is aligned with organizational objectives. It requires a depth of experience both in hands-on technical skills, as well as leadership, motivation, management and team building abilities.
- Build and maintain a team of remarkable engineers, and coach them to greatness
- Collaborate with the CTO to plan and implement a vision for engineering that aligns with the larger organizational goals and vision
- Direct the planning and execution of strategic and tactical projects and initiatives
- Design and implement a vision for the development and delivery processes
- Aggressively set and pursue goals to further the organization, the team, and each team member
- Oversee day-to-day operations and projects in the engineering space
- Build and maintain vendor relationships and manage vendor accounts
- 12+ years working in hands-on technical roles, at least 5 recent years in web-based environments
- Experience managing several teams of at least 5 team members accountable for software development and delivery
- 2-3 years in a leadership role in a technology or software organization
- Passionate about team-building, continuous improvement, planning and coaching, team recognition and motivation
- Mastery of agile/scrum concepts
- Significant experience collaborating across development and operations areas within or across organizations
- Significant development experience in both compiled and interpreted languages
- Experience with geographically distributed services, CDNs, and multi-layer caching
- A borderline-unhealthy obsession w/ metrics
- Experience developing for/deploying to AWS, RackSpace or other PaaS offerings
- Experience developing process around software lifecycle management
- Experience with production incident response management
- Four year Computer Science degree or equivalent experience
We develop and manage email marketing and newsletter software for 120,000 small businesses, bloggers, nonprofits, and other customers around the world.
We're in Chalfont, PA, nestled in the heart of scenic Bucks County, in the suburbs of Philadelphia. While this position may require occasional travel, the majority of your time will be spent working on-site with AWesome people in our state-of-the-art headquarters, so you'll need to be located in the Philadelphia area or willing to relocate here.
100% Company Paid PPO medical, dental, vision, insurance (including domestic partner benefits).
Company Paid Short Term Disability Insurance.
Company Paid Life Insurance.
Fully Reimbursed Gym Memberships.
3 weeks paid time off (plus increases in paid time off).
401K retirement benefits with company match and profit sharing.
Free lunches every day prepared using locally-grown ingredients by in-house chefs.
Break rooms stocked with soda, juices, coffee and teas.
MacBook Pro laptops and 30" monitors.
Multiple high definition theater rooms fully equipped with Xbox, Wii & Blu-Ray players.
A game room with competition billiard, foosball, and ping-pong tables.
Life at AWeber
AWeber employs some AWesome people. Inspiring thinkers, passionate creators - everyone brings something to the table. And you have the AWesome chance to learn from and collaborate with these cool minds. Whether it's marketing, design or engineering, every interaction gives the opportunity to nurture your skills.
We love independent spirits and innovative ideas. AWeber thrives on contributions from everyone, at every level, in every department. Want your efforts to really count? We'll let you take your ideas and run with them. Everyone here is an integral part of AWeber's growth.
We're not just built for collaboration, but also for fun! Ride the slide to the cafeteria for lunch prepared by our 3 in-house chefs. Catch up on shows in our state-of-the-art movie theaters. Or embrace your competitive side with ping pong or a rack of pool. When it's time to get back to work, roll your desk where you need it to go to work more closely with your team members.